Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Geeking Out Old School Style (or, The Irony of Playing 8-bit Nintendo, DOS and C64 Games on the Internet)

Now, I've been an emulator boy for years. If I search through my files, I can find three different Commodore 64/128 emulators, as well as ones for the Nintendo, Super Nintendo and the original Sega System. I play my 360 and my Playstation 2 (no, I haven't found the desire to pay for a PS3 yet) on a fairly regular basis, as well as my World of Warcraft... but I also go through periods where I will spend a month or two doing nothing but playing old, out-dated software (especially Wasteland, the D&D Pool of Radiance series, Autoduel and Bard's Tale...oh, and the Infocom text adventures).

I've discovered something new and, for me, extraordinary.

All of those emulators...online, in a java-base, with more game options than any ROM library could offer.

Now, yes, I know these sites I'm finding have probably been around for a long, long while... but I've somehow missed them in my emulator searches. I never thought to look for browser-based emulation.

So, I've now spent a few late nights playing around with a smorgasbord of Nintendo games, Sid Meiers "Pirates", StarCon (the first one) and trying out games I'd never even known existed.

It has (quite figuratively) been one, long wet dream come true.

Now, if I could only find the full Space Quest series (or any of the Quest series, but I've always been more of a Roger Wilco fan) or a copy of Zork: Grand Inquisitor, I'd be giddy as the school kid I was when I played them all the first time.

No comments: