Saturday, November 22, 2008

Brief Thought (or, "Student" as an Active Career Choice)

While I have no intention of remaining in school indefinitely, I have come to realize that those of us over the age of thirty, through sheer diligence of applying to every adult-oriented grant and scholarship program, can actually pay for a full-time education while living off of the equivalent of a $25k a year salary.

It's sad to think that, starting with the 2009-2010 school year, I'll probably be making more while in school than I will after I finally make it all the way through a Master's program.

Maybe this is how they should work the welfare and unemployment systems... pay for a trade or degree program, then set them loose. It would, most likely, be more economically efficient in the long run.

Editted: With the 2009-2010 year, starting next fall and meeting all of the applicable deadlines for grants and scholarships, if my credit score was better, I would, effectively, be able to purchase a new 2009/2010 model car and buy a modest house without actually being employed, assuming I receive approximately half of the aid for which I apply.

My reaction to this can only be expressed in the common, online vernacular of 'wtf?'.

No comments: