Monday, November 10, 2008

Death and, Well, You Know the Rest (or, Why I Prefer to Pay My Dues to the Federal Government)

I will apologize in advance, as this is another brief post. There are other entries of substance coming shortly.

To those who feel we must work to lower taxes, either on certain income brackets or across the board, or who believe we shouldn't have to pay a Federal tax, allow me to point out a few Federal 'programs' these tax dollars support that I, at least, happen to appreciate:

The Military
The FDA
The FBI
Funding to States for Road Repair and Public Works
The Department of Education
The Veteran's Administration
The Department of Agriculture

I am certain I could produce a handful of posts based on these... and I've probably missed a few that aren't readily coming to mind.

(editted to remove the USPS)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The other thing a lot of people who want the federal government to take a smaller hand in things don't seem to think about is that what the national systems stops handling becomes the states job. I imagine that if the federal taxes were drastically cut, funding stopped, programs ended etc you'd see a lot of state taxes shoot up to try and make up the difference.

Anonymous said...

The postal service is supposed to be a self sufficient entity deriving the revenue needed to operate from its own products and services.

Hlessi said...

I stand corrected on the USPS. Perhaps I shouldn't post anything later at night, as I should've caught myself on that one. Years of rising stamp prices should've reminded me they are a more independent organization.