Monday, November 17, 2008

Crashing the Rainbow Barrier (or, Allowing Homosexuals and Bisexuals in the Military)

Today, 104 former Admirals and Generals called for a repeal of the infamous "Don't ask, Don't tell" policy of the Clinton era, so that such members could serve openly. The support is up drastically from a similar demand for repeal sent last year by 28 former military leaders.

All I can say is, "It's about damned time."

During the six years I served, I was friends with several soldiers, both male and female, who were admitted (in the privacy of friends) homo- or bi- sexuals. I knew of many others, as well. Some might say I failed in my duties as a leader by not reporting these individuals for violating the regulations against homosexual activity, from the time I was a Private First Class filling an NCO position and later when I was a Sergeant (two of these soldiers served under me in separate units). However, every single one of them was a hard-working, excellent soldier, people in whom I entrusted my safety and, in the case of duty accomplishment, my reputation as a 'get the job done' leader.

Perhaps my failure to bring these soldiers before the UCMJ (Uniform Code of Military Justice) for admitting their sexuality to others comes from the way I was trained. From my Drill Sergeants to my first Platoon Sergeant, the First Sergeant I first worked directly for, my first real Company Commander onto all the others under whom I served and learned leadership, I was taught to always place the needs and welfare of my soldiers as one of my highest priorities. Additionally, I was taught to always consider the needs of the Army over other considerations. In both cases, keeping quiet and respecting their sexual choices and keeping them secret won out. I saw no need to upset the military careers of these soldiers nor to cause their assets and strengths to be removed from an Army that needed them.

Just like race, religion or gender, it shouldn't matter. If someone wants to make the choice to serve in one of the military branches, they should be able to do as such, without having to hide who they are. They're just like every other cross-section of the military; some will be need to be disciplined and molded into better soldiers, some will always walk the line of mediocrity, never exceeding or dropping below the standards and some will be gifted, talented service members who give everything of themselves to better their unit, branch and country. They deserve the same consideration and chances as any other potential recruit.

President-elect Obama has stated he believes in a repeal, but that he may not be the one who accomplishes it. In part, it may be fear that he will fall into a similar situation as President Clinton did or it may be something as astute as realizing it will take some time to adapt the military culture to readily accept the change, which may not be entirely possible if he only serves a single term. As support for the repeal continues to grow, however, he might not have much choice in the matter.

These next few years may be the best opportunity to, at the least, start such a change. With both a liberal President and Congress, it's a measure that could be readily made, as long as those making it realize they can't make it a 'sudden impact' on the modern military. There will be prejudice and there will be internal opposition, but, with time, these individuals can become accepted members of military service, with more regard for their records and accomplishments than whom they choose to bed.

No comments: